Machine order Leading Chinese engineering academy chooses British profile grinding machine
UK — One of East China’s premier engineering academies has placed an order for a British-built Zenith 400 helical profile grinding machine from Rochdale-based PTG Holroyd. Valued at approximately 1.5 million euros, the machine is scheduled to be shipped to China ready for installation in summer 2022.
British machine manufacturer Helroyd has secured a significant order for one of our industry leading Zenith 400 machines. The engineering academy that purchased the machine, specialises in the development of ultra-precise components for a number of sectors, as well as small batch production of specialised components and prototypes. As such, it required a machine that offered the highest levels of precision helical grinding, as well as exceptional levels of versatility. After considering machines from a number of our competitors, the Zenith 400 was chosen for its ability to meet all the helical component design, build and production needs of the academy, and for its use of twin-plated CBN grinding wheels and vitrified dressable media.
Rough and finish grinding capability
A key feature of the Zenith 400 is the fact that it uses ‘diamond hard’ plated Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) and the vitrified dressable process to provide roughing and finishing capabilities on one machine. With the advantage of twin grinding wheels, the academy staff will be able to complete both rough- and fine-grit (finish) grinding in one seamless operation.
The Zenith 400 helical profile grinder represents a new generation of grinding capability from PTG Holroyd. Developed to precision-grind components weighing up to 1000 kg and measuring up to 450 mm in diameter and 2.2 metres in length, the Zenith 400 combines high stock removal rates and aggressive semi-finishing, with production rates and accuracies tailored to the most demanding of manufacturing strategies. Benefiting from an advanced control system that incorporates development and production software, Zenith 400 models have been designed to suit all user requirements, whether research and development, batch or mass production.
Key features – Zenith 400 helical profile grinding machines:
- Vitrified / dressable media and plated CBN
- Accelerated and simplified setup
- Fully automated grinding wheel balancing system
- Powerful, intuitive touch screen programming
- High stock removal rates, aggressive semi-finishing and precision fine finishing
- Compact footprint, yet large component capability
- Unique on-board Holroyd 3D CMM component scanning probe with fully automatic compensation feedback
- Optional Holroyd Profile Management System (HPMS) for off-machine programming
- Advanced in-process wheel dressing system
- Engineered for complete integration with automated parts handling systems
- 450 mm maximum component diameter
- 1000 kg maximum component weight