Grinding In-process measurement of cutting tools enables automation and reduces scrap
To help its customers realise the benefits of automation and lights out manufacturing, Anca further developed its in-process measurement technology for cutting tools. Laser Ultra dramatically increases capacity and reduces waste through highly accurate and fast in-process measurement and compensation.
The in-process measurement Laser Ultra from Anca gives customers the power to operate unmanned overnight with confidence they could retrieve their finished tools the next day within specification. Compared to its predecessor Laser Ultra, the further developed solution achieves a 70 percent reduction in measurement time. This is made possible by the new Analog measurement, a continuous edge scan instead of number of digital points along the cutting edge. This process also eliminates variations caused by machine standing idle, errors due to manual wheel corrections and the requirement of skilled operators. In its place Laser Ultra has increased accuracy, productivity, and reduction of scrap.
Anca’s Laser Ultra allows the measurement of tool geometries to tolerances of 0.002 mm without removing the tool from the grinder, saving time in the manufacturing process, and ensuring maximum accuracy in measurement is maintained over large batch grinding.
LaserUltra is an automatic OD, profile measurement and compensating system for Anca’s TX, MX and FX machines. It is suitable for measuring and compensating tools to maintain tight tolerances (0.002 mm) in unmanned production grinding. The in-process measurement is available in both digital and analog for fast and accurate measurements to enable productivity and performance improvements.
It is permanently mounted inside the machine and will not interfere with typical grinding processes and accessories. Using the laser, the operator can perform accurate in-process measurement and compensation without removing tools from the machine.
Users profit from:
- A cycletime that is approximately 70 percent faster than Laser Plus in normal tool measurements which directly relates to increased productivity.
- Greater accuracy due to the continuous edge scan rather than a number of points.
- Several new Tool Types like Barrel shape cutters and Lens shapes are included with Laser Ultra measurement cycles.
- New operations like runout compensation and enhanced functions.
- Larger working envelop means larger diameters and length of tools can be measured.
- The measurement reports have been modified to suit customers’ requirements.
- Eliminates errors caused by manual compensation process.