Market Report Global metal additive manufacturing market
The Additive Manufacturing with Metal Powders 2017 Report reveals that the primary market for metal additive manufacturing (AM), encompassing metal AM systems and metal powder materials, exceeded $950m in 2016, according to the latest edition of Smar-Tech Publishing’s industry-leading metal AM market research report.
Over the next decade, Smar-Tech Publishing’s proprietary market models show that the metal AM market will grow to over $6.6b by 2026. The report is based on Smar-Tech’s on-going research in the metal AM market.
About the report
The metal AM market remains one of the strongest growth areas of the broader 3D-printing industry and is entering a pivotal year in its evolution, in which a number of developments are expected to determine whether or not various metal AM technologies will deliver on expected potential. Incumbent processes and vendors who have enjoyed numerous years of strong growth with little competitive pressure now face a significantly different market structure in 2017, characterised by a drive towards real manufacturing implementation and digital manufacturing business model realisation.
This new report – the third edition of SmarTech Publishing’s industry-leading metal AM market research report – identifies changing key factors and resulting growth opportunities in metal AM in metal powder materials and alloys, applications and technology. With nearly 200 pages of analysis and market data, the latest ten year forecast outlooks for metal AM are presented, including:
- Metal powder shipments by mass across eight leading alloy families and resulting revenue opportunities.
- Hardware unit sales and install base estimates by metal AM technology sub-group (laser powder bed fusion, electron beam powder bed fusion, powder directed energy deposition, metal binder jetting).
- Revenue opportunities for sale of metal powders for AM within specific end-user markets.
Clear market trajectory
There is also an analysis of individual metal AM technologies and markets, including market share estimates of leading hardware vendors.
- Competitive profiling and a market-share analysis of leading metal powder producers active in the additive manufacturing industry.
- Assessments of new developmental metal additive manufacturing processes expected to come into the market in 2017 or 2018 and their impact on existing solutions.
The report seeks to lay out a clear market trajectory based on the latest industry events and technological developments in metal AM for stakeholders in the industry ranging from machine manufacturers to metal powder suppliers, machine tool providers interested in AM, investors and major end users interested in potential acquisitions in the space.
The most important insights
- Competitive landscape is shifting at a record pace in the market, with notable acquisitions from General Electric and market entries by major machine tool manufacturers and metal powder suppliers happening throughout 2016. GE’s own internal consumption of AM machines expected to be around 1,000 total systems over the next decade, represents as much as 4% of the total market sales for metal AM units in a given year during the forecast period.
- Major metal powder suppliers are beginning to make investments in order to gain key foothold in the future market for powders used in AM. These suppliers are ramping up their influence in the market as more end users begin serial manufacturing applications in AM, and as a result, hold the potential to weaken the business models of metal AM machine OEMs relying on re-distribution of metal powders to customers as an additional revenue stream.
- Market growth in 2016 was spread evenly across geographic regions of North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the rest of world, with Europe remaining the largest market for metal AM hardware and materials. In 2016, North America and Europe combined to account for just under 70% of the total primary metal AM market for metal powders and metal AM technology.
For more details on the report, look up www.smartechpublishing.com.
This article appeared in www.maschinenmarkt.international.